Monday, August 6, 2007

Hades must be bad...


I always make it a routine to sit outside on the porch in the rocking chair thats too cheep to rock. This is my 3rd summer in Tennessee and i can tell my blood has thinned a little bit. But today while attempting to "rock" i had an epiphany (hope thats correct spelling)

100 years ago people road horses to and from my town of Spring Hill into Franklin. All summer. I am starting to think those generations of southerners/americans were just a tougher breed of human. they went through more. wars, catching and eating their food, and even dealing with heat and humidity because thats just part of life.

I can't sit out in 104 heat index days like today with out feeling like a deer in headlights. I just sit and stare into the haze created by the heat as if a car is coming right at me. I have to respect those early settlers. they were tougher.

if you get a chance to come to nashville. visit "The Hermitage". andrew jackson's home. they left it as is and if you take the tour in the summer time you'll get a good feel for what i am talking about. they had to build their houses based on the way the wind blows in the summer time. or they'd die.

i'm learning things about myself. I've learned that i get irritated and grumpy in this heat and i just want to be left alone until i get to AC. It's almost like i'm mad at the heat because there's no where to hide and it won't let up.

Not to mention if you wanna go fishing. 3 in the morning it may drop down to 80 so you can stand in a lake with your shirt off in the middle of the night... although the fish are smarter than me and they've already swam towards air conditioned depths of the lake/river.

i love the south. i hate heat and humidity.

thanks for letting me vent. Vent? Where??? I'm roasting!
j

No comments: